Topic: Translation consistancy

I've been looking into the translations in Transifex and I noticed that the translations are not very consistant. (at least the dutch translations)

For example, the message 'An email has been sent with your new password!' was translated into 'Een email is gestuurd met uw nieuwe paswoord!' ('uw' is the formal form of 'your') but 'Are you sure you wish to delete' is translated to 'Weet je zeker dat je wilt verwijderen?' (where 'je' is the informal form of 'you').

I think that, at least for one language, all translations should be consistent, so all should be formal or informal, but not a combination of both.

Is there a way in Transifex to achieve this consistency, we could for instance use the glossary for this, or should this be discussed here at the forums?

Thumbs up

Re: Translation consistancy

I was banging my head with the same question and finally went for more informal translation as it is closer to the user and since I'm the only one doing so I don't have any intention of changing that.
In addition, my personal opinion is to mix both depending on the sentence which is presented to the end user and try to make that sensible as it can be. Some things are hard to translate and to keep it's original English simplicity, at least in my case. (Layout, Snippet and similar are not translatable very well and sound gibberish when you choose formal way)

Tutorials at Project 79 | Wolf CMS Docs

The fact that a lot of English, internet-related terms are relatively new (I know, I sound like an old guy now) indeed makes it more difficult to translate them. Many of them simply don't have an equivalent in other languages, or the English word is being reused.

For instance the word 'slug' is in the current version, dutch translation of Wolf being translated to 'pagina', which is actually the dutch equivalent to 'page'. This is a bit confusing when you start using Wolf CMS the first time.

In this case I think it is best to simply call it a slug in dutch as well. However, it might be desirable to introduce some sort of tool-tip system (that shows up when you hover your mouse over a question-mark icon) to explain the meaning of certain fields to unexperienced Wolf-users.

I'm going way off-topic now (and probably extending the already long-enough list of to-do's, sorry for that), but these are my thoughts.

Last edited by NicNLD (2013-03-20 23:39)

Thumbs up

No, I think you are right to say that translations should be more consistent.

Personally I tend to favor a polite / formal form of sentences. Also, I tend to make translations that cover the exact same meaning but are perhaps not a literal translation.

As for "new" words like "slug", I think, when in doubt, just use the original English word. At least in Dutch. That's fairly common for IT related terminology.

As for the suggestion to use Transifex's Glossary system. That's an excellent suggestion. I believe any translator can add entries to the Glossary?

Wolf CMS founder and lead developer
Please always check the Support forums and Wiki before asking. (My Ohloh account.)
Like Wolf CMS? Consider making a financial contribution or see our financial report first.