Topic: Releasing Wolf CMS 0.7.3

Just released Wolf CMS 0.7.3 (See the blog post)

This release includes the improved filter system I talked about in other posts. If you are a plugin maintainer for an filter/editor plugin, you will need to use this new system. Take a look at the CKeditor, TinyMCE, Textile or Markdown plugins for an example.

If you don't understand, give me a shout.

Wolf CMS founder and lead developer
Please always check the Support forums and Wiki before asking. (My Ohloh account.)
Like Wolf CMS? Consider making a financial contribution or see our financial report first.

Re: Releasing Wolf CMS 0.7.3

Could you please add updated polish translations to the next release?

--
Piotr

Sorry about that! Completely forgot about those! (Knew I was forgetting something!) :-S

Please always check the Support forums and Wiki before asking. (My Ohloh account.)
Like Wolf CMS? Consider making a financial contribution or see our financial report first.

Installing was smooth and just fine but I can't get in the admin-pages for login, there seems to be no index.php in it. I've tried three times installing but can't get any better results?

Thumbs up

Galileo wrote:

Installing was smooth and just fine but I can't get in the admin-pages for login, there seems to be no index.php in it. I've tried three times installing but can't get any better results?

What version did you upgrade from?

Cheers,

Tyler

As of version 0.7.0, the admin is no longer a hard directory path.  It now uses the Dispatcher class, just like the frontend.  If your site was at www.example.com then you'd log in at:

With mod_rewrite enabled:

www.example.com/admin/login

With mod_rewrite not enabled:

www.example.com/?/admin/login

To logout, just replace login with logout.

Cheers,

Tyler

@It wasn't an upgrade just a new install after I was used to version 0.6.
Thanks for your reply's, I'm in now. This is really a nice forum with such a quick respons, keep up the good work on Wolf

Thumbs up

I've also fallen in love with this wonderful CMS.
Who needs nuke-evo or joomla when you can get as much power in a bitesize package.

Thumbs up

I've noticed that after 6.0b release everything started to go a little crazy for me. All my plugins work fine in 6.0a and 6.0 b but the 7.x releases the ckeditor stopped doing browser uploads among other things and now in 7.3 fancy image gallery doesn't show as a tab nor does it function and ckeditor doesn't initiate when selected from the filter and tinymce doesn't work at all.

Are the plugins being tested when a new version of the core system is updated? I'm sure this isn't a isolated issue. Been using wolf since day one and love it over all other cms but I can't hand over simple operations to my clients if I can't get the plugins to work. sad Also, will there be a section on the site that will have the older versions of the cms or will it only have the latest and greatest?  :\

And jest for reference. The 7.3 is a clean install. I have the other versions running on different clients websites and they are all on the hosting server.

Last edited by gemmasan (2011-01-13 02:37)

Thumbs up

Hi gemmasan - I feel your pain (and understand!). Btw, do note that the versions are 0.6 and 0.7! We haven't reached "1.0" yet! wink Some quick replies; others might provide a different perspective:

gemmasan wrote:

Are the plugins being tested when a new version of the core system is updated?

No. There is a reason why they're called "Third party plugins"! The dev team will ensure that the centrally maintained plugins that ship with Wolf function correctly. Otherwise, it is up to each plugin dev to maintain their own contribution. Think of the many, many 3rd party browser extensions for Firefox, for example. They're not maintained by the Mozilla foundation!

This is the purpose of the beta/RC releases. It allows plugin devs to adapt their work for upcoming releases. But the Wolf community is still comparatively small, and this last upgrade almost uniquely significant for plugins. The migration from Prototype to jQuery was always going to be a big hurdle -- but there are long-term gains, as once they are updated for 0.7.+, they should be much happier. Many of them are jQuery based, and took "hacks" of one kind or another to run beside Prototype. No longer! smile

Also! wink The plans for the plugin/extensions repository is that it should be able to list compatibilities between the plugin version and Wolf versions. This should help manage expectations, at least.

gemmasan wrote:

Also, will there be a section on the site that will have the older versions of the cms or will it only have the latest and greatest?  :\

You're always able to continue to use old versions. While we are no longer using Google Code as our development platform with the move to Github, there are no plans (that I am aware of!) to remove the old Google Code downloads.

Two quick final comments about sticking with older versions of Wolf: (1) you will be missing all the excellent security hardening features that was one of the major goals of the 0.7 milestone; but (2) you can disable upgrade checks by making the relevant setting in config.php.

Using Wolf CMS professionally and for profit? Please consider supporting Wolf financially. Thanks!

To add to David's comment:
Martijn is going to add a compatibility list to the repository.
That is more then welcome at this point.

Fortron wrote:

Errm... I think I mentioned that! But it bears repeating! big_smile

Using Wolf CMS professionally and for profit? Please consider supporting Wolf financially. Thanks!

gemmasan wrote:

in 7.3 fancy image gallery doesn't show as a tab nor does it function

I don't know what version of Fancy image gallery you have, but it's working without any problems for me on 0.7.3. oob!

I haven't updated the repo but here you have version for Wolf 0.7.x. The difference is only in one security line.

Tutorials at Project 79 | Wolf CMS Docs

David wrote:

Hi gemmasan - I feel your pain (and understand!). Btw, do note that the versions are 0.6 and 0.7! We haven't reached "1.0" yet! wink Some quick replies; others might provide a different perspective:

No. There is a reason why they're called "Third party plugins"! The dev team will ensure that the centrally maintained plugins that ship with Wolf function correctly. Otherwise, it is up to each plugin dev to maintain their own contribution. Think of the many, many 3rd party browser extensions for Firefox, for example. They're not maintained by the Mozilla foundation!

This is the purpose of the beta/RC releases. It allows plugin devs to adapt their work for upcoming releases. But the Wolf community is still comparatively small, and this last upgrade almost uniquely significant for plugins. The migration from Prototype to jQuery was always going to be a big hurdle -- but there are long-term gains, as once they are updated for 0.7.+, they should be much happier. Many of them are jQuery based, and took "hacks" of one kind or another to run beside Prototype. No longer! smile

Also! wink The plans for the plugin/extensions repository is that it should be able to list compatibilities between the plugin version and Wolf versions. This should help manage expectations, at least.

You're always able to continue to use old versions. While we are no longer using Google Code as our development platform with the move to Github, there are no plans (that I am aware of!) to remove the old Google Code downloads.

Two quick final comments about sticking with older versions of Wolf: (1) you will be missing all the excellent security hardening features that was one of the major goals of the 0.7 milestone; but (2) you can disable upgrade checks by making the relevant setting in config.php.

Thanks for the response. I'm all in favor of more security too. The core is good but the plugins makes the core even better. I haven't had issues with security for the sites that are using the older versions. Guess I will stick with 0.6a & b ( Not 6.0 smile ) and wait to see if any of the third parties will step their plugins up.  wink  Thanks again!

Thumbs up

gemmasan wrote:

Thanks for the response. I'm all in favor of more security too. The core is good but the plugins makes the core even better. I haven't had issues with security for the sites that are using the older versions. Guess I will stick with 0.6a & b ( Not 6.0 smile ) and wait to see if any of the third parties will step their plugins up.  wink  Thanks again!

@gemmasan - Make sure you speak up in the third party plugins forum about which plugins aren't working for you! (or contact the plugin dev directly) Some plugin devs need push before they start updating their plugins.

Going there now! lol

Thumbs up

David wrote:
Fortron wrote:

Errm... I think I mentioned that! But it bears repeating! big_smile

I've missed it sad

mvdkleijn wrote:

..Some plugin devs need push before they start updating their plugins.

If that doesn't help do you reckon a lawyer would help? wink

I was able to get the ckeditor file upload and toolbar setting working in 0.7.3 after getting the plugin from this repo:
https://github.com/dajare/wolf_ckeditor

I had to make one very small change in ckeditor.js, line 16:

customConfig : 'wolf/plugins/ckeditor/ckconfig.js.php',

To:
customConfig : '/wolf/plugins/ckeditor/ckconfig.js.php',

Chris

Thumbs up

cearls wrote:

I was able to get the ckeditor file upload and toolbar setting working in 0.7.3...

Thanks, Chris! I've updated the github repo. (It's also working well for me in a fresh 0.7.3 test install.)