Topic: rel="nofollow" for forum links

Hi all,

I just found out that links on this forum aren't rel="nofollow". This means that if I put a link in my profile or signature to my website, search engines see the same link to my site on every url (topic or message) that I have posted in.
The Google Webmaster Center already counts 52 links from wolfcms.org to my website. And it could become many more, because I have 106 posts on this forum. That's 106 url's and not even counting the url's of the topics that contain a post by me. I'm sure there are people with many more possible 'links' on this forum.

Isn't there a risk that Google (and other search engines) might see this as spamming? Wouldnt it be preferrable to change the links into rel="nofollow" links? And even if Google doesn't see this as spamming, this could attract the real spammers to this forum.

Just my 2 cents.

FYI, I just removed the link from my profile, just to be sure.

Looking for Wolf CMS plugins? See Wolf Pack, a plugin pack for Wolf CMS!

Re: rel="nofollow" for forum links

Update:

I posted the same question on the Google Webmasters forum. I just got this reply from a 'top contributor':

Hi

So a live do-follow link is attached to every single one of your posts in that forum, as well as the one in your actual profile?

If so, then it might be an idea to get the forum admin to nofollow all in-forum links, while leaving the one in your actual profile followable. While you yourself are not engaging in spam tactics, having a forum platform full of followable links will sooner or later attract spammers like moths to a flame.

Cheers

Sasch

How about this? (I made a change... smile )

Wolf CMS founder and lead developer
Please always check the Support forums and Wiki before asking. (My Ohloh account.)
Like Wolf CMS? Consider making a financial contribution or see our financial report first.

Better... but how about the Website link in a profile?

I'll take a look, but profiles aren't visible to not-logged-in users anyway so I think the problem is not as high there.

Please always check the Support forums and Wiki before asking. (My Ohloh account.)
Like Wolf CMS? Consider making a financial contribution or see our financial report first.

Done. Any other items like this? smile

mvdkleijn wrote:

I'll take a look, but profiles aren't visible to not-logged-in users anyway so I think the problem is not as high there.

I know, I meant the fact that the link is also shown next to each post on the forum (which is visible to not-logged-in users). But I see you've already fixed it.

Thanks!

This is quality posting and linking is all about , a lot of SEO/SEM practitioners still took more importance of the link quantity over quality, without them thinking of the long term effect. I salute webmasters and link-builders who work together to combat spamming.  If we will all learn to follow Google's webmaster rules then there might not be a next Google panda and penguin.

Great discussion you have here guys I am getting different points of view. Truly learning about anything is never ending.

Thumbs up