Topic: menu title plug in should be implemented in core

Today,I spend half day modifying templates to support the menu title plug-in.
It is a very important function.

The menu title plug-in is -I think- essential for non english sites.

In Joomla the "alias" functionallity has saved me from many many problems...

Thanks and I hope that was the right place to put this feature request smile

[edit reason] Just noticed some really bad english tongue

Last edited by trister (2012-02-17 17:10)

Thumbs up

Re: menu title plug in should be implemented in core

Why is this important and essential for non-english sites? For core proposals (or any other for that matter), please open new issue on github

My Wolf CMS related blog Project 79 | Wolf CMS Docs

jackie wrote:

Why is this important and essential for non-english sites?

It makes life easier.

Mainly is the way the URLs are created. I haven't studied much wolf site code on how it handles strange foreign article titles but many times I had troubles dealing with URLs like
"http://demo.opensourcecms.com/wolfcms/? … CE%97.html"

^^That is a copy/paste of a perfectly working link I created in wolf demo. Many times I had to explain to non-technical people that the link to an article they were trying to copy had issues.

Note: An even stranger article title I used, created a link name like ...?4238425842.html . That is also strange and I could do nothing about it.
Anyway it is a matter of opinion.

I have seen problems even in wordpress with this kind of logic.

In joomla it was really simple. I just told them if they wanted to avoid this problem they could just use equivalent latin letters for the Alias of the menu (if the auto-generated was not nice).

Anyway, it makes life a lot easier and as a plug in it would be easy to enable/disable.

[edit]  I think slug partially might solve the problem... but I still think alias entry is still needed

Last edited by trister (2012-02-17 21:10)

Thumbs up

The slug was problematic with some characters in the past (v.0.6.0) but since 0.7.0 it changed and is handled much better. I too have few non-english sites and they generate url just fine.

But as you said, it's a personal choice. smile

jackie wrote:

The slug was problematic with some characters in the past (v.0.6.0) but since 0.7.0 it changed and is handled much better. I too have few non-english sites and they generate url just fine.

From my (small) experience auto-generation always creates problems at some point and should always exist a "manual-override" option smile

Thumbs up

trister wrote:

From my (small) experience auto-generation always creates problems at some point and should always exist a "manual-override" option smile

There is, of course, always a "manual-override" option:

http://i40.tinypic.com/iw3ts9.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/24xo3fb.jpg

In that example, the automatic slug generation worked perfectly (there was a time when it didn't!)

You can set your own slug (to whatever you like) in the "Metadata" tab. But now (as of 0.7.5), Wolf does a pretty good job at replacing characters correctly. If you're having trouble, do put a note of this in the Github issue list; you can see some old related issues that have already been fixed.

But if that isn't what you mean, do explain again! wink

Using Wolf CMS professionally and for profit? Please consider supporting Wolf financially. Thanks!

David wrote:

You can set your own slug (to whatever you like) in the "Metadata" tab. But now (as of 0.7.5), Wolf does a pretty good job at replacing characters correctly. If you're having trouble, ...

I'm new to Wolf so I am not used to wolf terminology (eg compared to joomla).
Maybe my issue did not exist in the first  place.
My initial idea was that slug -since it was in the Metadata section- was something else.

So, can you tell me what is the difference between slug and menu-title plug-in?
If it is the same then I am ok smile and maybe you could put a comment in slug label for us noobs smile  eg "slug (actual page link)"

For the second part, apart from joomla I've tried a lot of "light cms"s.
In 2-3 cases I had an issue I reported it or posted a fix to the developer. The issue was really fixed but after a few updates the issue returned. Actually in a specific cms (that sadly is abandoned) the problem re-arised more than 3 times .
My guess is that at some point common CMS functionality dictates that the "fixed code" must be broken to achieve more important things - that's why I stated that there "should always exist a manual-override option"

Thanks for the quick replies smile

Thumbs up

If I'm not mistaken, the menu title plugin was made to give an extra option for titles (if you find "title" input to be to short or non-descriptive). This is official description:

Wolf CMS currently uses a single field for it's page title. Sometimes you want to show different titles in for example the site menu.

The slug field is autogenerated url from your title (striped, lowercase) and you can always manually override it if you want/need. And have no fear, it won't get broken or changed for a long time smile