Blog

Light-weight, fast, simple and powerful!

Releasing Wolf CMS 0.6.0 RC1

Hi! And welcome to the bright future of Wolf CMS.

You’ve read it correctly, we have just released Release Candidate 1 of Wolf CMS 0.6.0! This is a great step forward for Wolf and its users. This fledgling project emerged on the scene just last July and this is a major update.

What is an RC release?

Most if not all stable releases of Wolf CMS will be preceded by one or more “Release Candidates” or RC release. A release candidate is a version of Wolf CMS which we feel could be stable enough for normal use, but which we want to keep testing first. Once any issues that came up during testing of an RC release have been corrected, a stable release will be made available.

The intention of the RC releases is to give you, the user, a chance to help us test an upcoming release.

Where to get it

Just go to our download page or get it directly from Google.

So what have we added?

A lot. Maybe too much to discuss here, nevertheless, we will at least highlight the major new stuff. For a full list of what has changed, please see the changelog.

Install

The install sequence was given a major overhaul and starts of by checking most of the requirements before you can continue. This will allow users to get a better grip on the exact requirements. It also allows you to test whether mod_rewrite is working.

Administration

A preview status was added to the add/edit page screen which allows users with either the administrator, developer or editor roles to preview the page.

HTTPS support is now available for accessing the administration area. This will allow for improved security on the management of your website.

Something else of interest is that support was added for cron. For those of you who don’t know, cron is a scheduling service that allows you to run tasks at predetermined times. The term “cron” is also used as a general reference term for all manner of scheduling services. This added support will allow the Wolf CMS core and plugins to introduce time based actions, like publishing a page at a certain moment in the future.

Since not everyone has access to cron/a scheduling service on their system, we’ve also added “poormans cron” support. This allows a cron “run” to be started at certain intervals and works on the basis of visits you get to your site. To use poormans cron, edit config.php and set:

define('USE_POORMANSCRON', true);
define('POORMANSCRON_INTERVAL', 3600);

Users are now able to set a preferred language in the administration backend. This will be used throughout the Wolf CMS system to change the interface’s language. It defaults to the site wide language setting.

Plugins

Apart from being able to “disable” plugins, administrator users can now also “uninstall” a plugin. Uninstalling a plugin allows the plugin to remove any database tables and settings it may have added. It does not remove the actual plugin from disk. Please keep in mind that the plugin has to support this feature, otherwise it will do nothing.

Plugin developers will be happy to know that Wolf CMS now supports frontend plugin controllers. This will allow them to use all of the power behind controllers in the frontend of the site.

Andrew Waters created a nice article that should help you get started with this new feature.

A new core plugin was added called BackupRestore which will allow site administrators to create a backup of all the Wolf CMS core database tables. The current version does not make file system level backups nor does it make backups of tables created by plugins.

Be aware! We’ve also removed stuff.

We’ve removed the old and rather broken PDO lite support. This was a set of libraries to allow people who did not have native PDO support to still use Wolf CMS. These libraries have now been removed and native PDO support is a requirement.

Plugin developers may want to check their plugins to see if they’re still compatible. Amongst others, this release has removed the BASE HREF tag that was used in the administration backend screens. As a result, plugin developers may need to adjust the paths used for images or CSS in their plugins.

Enjoy!

We hope you’ll enjoy this new release and please help us test!

13 Responses

1. Andy Says:
    November 26, 2009 at 00:23

Thanks.

Really looking forward to this.

FrogCMS and this really rock. Simple and easy. No overkill. Will be using this in an upcoming project.

2. Martijn Says:
    November 25, 2009 at 17:39

Hey Max,

Frog 0.9.5 and Wolf 0.5.5 are the same except for branding.

Wolf CMS 0.6.0 (which will be released soon) will be a LOT different to Frog... much more added flexibility especially for plugin devs and lots of little and not so little bugfixes.

Is Frog obsolete? No. Is it dead? Decide for yourself. No updates since I left though.

Am I biased? Of course! (I started the Wolf CMS project after all) :-)

In the end I suggest you read http://www.wolfcms.org/wiki/migrating_from_frog_to_wolf_cms.

3. max Says:
    November 24, 2009 at 15:51

Hi Martin and all!

I'm your customary noob type thats searching for a CMS for my needs and I'm also the type that mkaes you turn up your PHP coding noses at because of my caveman like questions - however, like most cavemen, I'm pretty thick skinned so here's my question: Between Wolf and Frog which should I use? Is Frog obsolete? I understand that at the time of my writing there's not much of a difference between the 2(yet) but I'm still not sure which one to go with, lemme know! Thanks!

4. Martijn Says:
    November 18, 2009 at 19:58

@paolo - simple... nobody asked for it. ;-) Its not that we don't support lighttpd, but the mod_rewrite rules tend to be quite different between http server. We'll see if we can't add support though. (saw your enhancement request)

5. Paolo Says:
    November 17, 2009 at 17:57

I think that the page "Requirements check" is a very good goal. I don't understand however why you don't support lighttpd at all, for example with rewrite.

6. Realty Laguna Says:
    November 17, 2009 at 10:45

Great stuff! Releasing Wolf CMS 0.6.0 RC1 is indeed the bright future of Wolf CMS.

7. Martijn Says:
    November 12, 2009 at 13:05

@a.renz - You'll have to ask M. As far as I'm aware, both changes to make M's plugin work were implemented in RC1.

So in principle the plugin should work out of the box. (but I haven't tried it)

8. a.renz Says:
    November 12, 2009 at 00:17

Martijn, you know I am looking very much forward to this feature as well xD But I think it belongs into a seperate release, you should concentrate on trimming the already implemented features.

One thing - last time I checked, M's plugin didn't work out of the box with Wolf, because it was using some hacks? Is there an adjusted version? It is a good interim solution, but if it doesn't work properly ...

9. Andy Says:
    November 11, 2009 at 01:20

Good someone is moving this project forward. The changes look good too. Look forward to giving it a whirl on our next site.

10. Martijn Says:
    November 10, 2009 at 16:33

@kirk - I realize that a couple of people want this feature but it was impacting in a lot of places. Also I've not said the feature will not be implemented, just not right now...

Maybe we'll do an RC2 in which it is added, but I'd prefer to do this in a separate release.

The development cycle for 0.6.0 was already too long with too many quite big changes going on as far as I'm concerned.

Even if this feature is not immediately available, there is still always M's page parts plugin in the mean time.

Though this entire "discussion" might be more suited for the forum than the comment system.

11. kirk Says:
    November 10, 2009 at 14:59

I was waiting for this: "Transform Page into more generic Node with PageParts acting as fields" unfortunately it looks like this feature is not longer part of 0.6 release. I look forward to see this implemented in the core too. thank you Kirk

12. David Says:
    November 10, 2009 at 12:48

Hi Tikky - the "updating.txt" file in the current package is just a placeholder. Full instructions will be provided with the stable release (if not before!). :)

13. Tikky Says:
    November 10, 2009 at 11:22

This is RC version, I hope that will be an update instruction available with final version?